All Clear Septic and Wastewater Services’ licensed septic inspectors have been carrying out thorough and reliable septic inspections in Massachusetts for over 15 years. As stated by the Mass Gov Website Title 5 Septic Inspections are required:
- Within 2 years before a sale. If weather conditions prevent inspection at the time of a sale, the inspection must take place within 6 months afterward.
- When there is a proposed change to the facility which requires a building or occupancy permit.
- Any change in the footprint of a building, to make sure that new building construction will not take place on top of any system components or on the system’s reserve area.
- For large systems with a design flow of 10,000 to 15,000 gallons per day or more at full build-out, on the basin schedule shown in 310 CMR 15.301(6), and every five years thereafter.
- Every 3 years for shared systems.
- When the property is divided, or ownership of 2 or more properties is combined.
- When MassDEP or the local Board of Health orders an inspection.
The majority of our inspections are for a property transfer, often scheduled by the seller but sometimes we provide an inspection for the buyer of a home with a septic system. Today we have septic inspections scheduled in Seekonk, Fairhaven, New Bedford, Fall River and Westport MA and most are for property transfers but one is for a voluntary septic assessment. Mass Gov States that:
“A system owner may choose voluntarily to have an assessment of the condition of the system even if there is no requirement for an inspection. Results of these voluntary assessments are solely for the use of the owner, and do not need to be submitted to local Boards of Health or MassDEP.”
Property owners are likely to schedule a voluntary assessment of their septic system because the want to know its condition and see if maintenance or repairs are required. This is important because failing systems can:
- cause a serious health threat to your family and neighbors,
- degrade the environment, especially lakes, streams and groundwater,
- reduce the value of your property,
- be very expensive to repair,
- and put thousands of water supply users at risk if you live in a public water supply watershed and fail to maintain your system
If you need to schedule a septic system inspection, for any reason, or if you have questions about septic inspections please do contact us at our Norton office on 508 763 4431 or visit All Clear Septic and Wastewater Services