All Clear Septic and Wastewater Services have many years experience working with customers to locate and fix their septic problems, whether they are large or small. Our customers will often come to us with a symptom of a septic problem, such as sewage smells in the home, or septic backups in the toilet, but not know what has caused this problem and how to fix it. We will, of course, locate and fix the problem, but we will also endeavor to find the source of the septic problem to ensure that it will not happen again.
This will often come in the form of education for a home owner. If you move from a home which is connected to town sewer to a home with its own septic system, we have found that many property owners do not realize they need to modify their behaviour accordingly. Here are some septic systems ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’
- DO call All Clear Septic and Wastewater Services for a Voluntary Assessment of your septic system.
- DO conserve water whenever possible as a means of reducing the volume of wastewater that will need to be treated and disposed.
- DO make repairs to any faucets or toilets that are leaking.
- DO make sure that you are only discharging biodegradable wastes into your system.
- DO restrict or avoid use of your garbage disposal.
- DO take the time to ensure that any down spouts or other surface water is diverted away from your drainfield.
- DO keep the cover to your septic tank accessible by installing covers and risers for easier inspections and pumping.
- DO get your septic tank pumped regularly and have it checked for any cracks or leaks.
- DO have an effluent filter installed to prevent debris from entering your drainfield.
- DO add a laundry filter to your washing machine.
- DO put kitchen trash into a compost or throw it into the garbage – not down your drains.
- DON’T flush products such as tampons, sanitary napkins, condoms, disposable diapers, or wipes into your system.
- DON’T empty oils or other types of kitchen grease down your drain.
- DON’T dump any items that can disrupt the treatment process or contaminate groundwater, such as: paints, oils, thinners, pesticides, poisons or disinfectants.
- DON”T do all your laundry on one day. Spread your laundry loads throughout the week
- DON’T build anything over your drainfield or dig in it for any reason.
- DON’T plant any landscaping over your drainfield – except grass.
- DON’T drive a vehicle over your drainfield or compact the soil in ANY way.
- DON’T run purification back flush into the septic tank.
Today we have septic repairs at customers’ properties in North Attleboro, Foxboro, Franklin, Sharon, Bellingham, and Blackstone, MA. Some of these repairs could have been avoided if they had followed the above guidelines.
If you have a septic problem and need to make an appointment, or have any questions, it is inadvisable to wait. Please do contact our Norton MA office at 508-763-4431 or visit www.allclearseptic.com