Christmas can be tough on your septic system. There are the Christmas guests who come to stay. Guests bring extra water usage. Laundry increases as well as showers and bathing. The dishwasher is always running with all the extra dishes from the great, festive meals and goodies that Christmas brings.
Here are some tips to keep your septic system running smoothly and avoid overuse and costly repairs.
- Be extra careful with water use during the winter months, shorter showers, smaller baths, etc. Ask your guests to conserve water and keep showers to a minimum.
- Fix any dripping taps and leaking toilet valves before winter.
- Check that no roof water or surface water (manhole covers should be higher than any puddles) enters the system.
- Buy a set of draining rods before the holidays or put them on your Christmas ‘wish list’. They are invaluable to anyone with a private drainage system and can save you a fortune when drains are blocked.
- Fill a plastic bottle with water and put it in the toilet tank. Make sure it doesn’t interfere with the flushing mechanism. This will reduce the volume of water per flush.
- Have your septic tank pumped just before the visitors arrive. This gives the soakaway a breathing space to drain away completely.
- Spread the washing out, using FULL loads, over a period of days. Saving all the laundry for washing day is not a good plan.
- Look at the labels. Only choose eco-friendly cleaning products. Avoid antibacterial soap and detergents. It can kill the good bacteria in your system.
- Try hand washing the greasy items in a bowl and throwing the water on the garden. It won’t harm your plants.
- Use air fresheners in the bathroom.
- If you do get a fat blockage in the drains, DO NOT use harsh drain cleaning products as they are harmful to your septic tank. Or better yet, use homemade recipes made from natural ingredients. Try using draining rods instead or call in the professionals at All Clear Septic and Wastewater Services.
- Prevention is the key to having a great holiday season. Be prepared and you can spend the holidays enjoying your family and friends and the magic of the season. Let All Clear Septic and Wastewater Services take the worry out of your holidays.
- You can reach us at 508-763-4431 or visit www.allclearseptic.com